Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Heart of an Olympian

The 2014 Winter Olympics have officially begun in Sochi! I don’t know about you, but I always feel so inspired after watching these amazing athletes from all over the world excel in their professions. As I was watching Jamie Anderson soak up her victory for the U.S. on the podium, I thought of how amazing the feeling is you get when you accomplish your goals. How hard these people have trained to make it to where they are today, how disciplined they have to be, and how badly they must want it. I think the main idea we should all take from this is one word: persistence. Sure, it’s easy to quit something when you experience failure, such as when a snowboarder falls and breaks her ankle - how easy it would be to just stop. But my question is this: if everything in life worth having was easy to get, what would be the worth in obtaining it? We may not be olympians, but we all have gifts. Maybe it’s the natural tendency to empathize with people, or the comprehension needed to make medicine to save lives, or the ability to inspire and motivate others. Or maybe it’s just being the best version of yourself that you can possibly be: mother, father, daughter, son, brother, sister, friend, companion, student, worker. I think it’s when we live up to our capabilities and always strive to be better than we were yesterday that we can achieve great things. 

As I watch these athletes exhibit their talent they have been working on their whole lives, I remind myself of the beauty in pushing yourself to reach your goals. Although it’s definitely hard to do amidst inevitable setbacks along the way, I’ve come to realize that’s what makes life interesting. Enjoy watching the olympics everyone, go USA! God bless.

Love, 

Vanessa

1 comment: